Friday, November 20, 2009

If I Were a Boy

If I were a Boy….
In the home that I was raised in and grew up
Maybe my parents wouldn’t have made such a fuss
About me staying out at the mall and the park late
And forbidding me to out go on a simple date

If I were a Boy….
My mother wouldn’t have made me washed the dishes
Or cater to my brothers’ many desired wishes.
The requirement to know how to cook and clean
Wouldn’t have been on my top priorities as a teen.

If I were a Boy….
I would have been able to play football with the guys
Wouldn’t have been seen as sensitive or easy too cry
I would have been able to get messy in the dirt
And play on the monkey bars without worrying about my skirt

If I were a Boy….
Maybe my math teacher would have called on me more
And had the confidence in me to receive higher scores.
My band teacher would’ve not doubted my ability on the bass drum
And a dedicated drum major I still think I can become

If I were a Boy….
In college, my dad wouldn’t call every five seconds
Because, “You are a man now,” he would reckon.
He would be more open with me about the birds and the bees.
Privileged to a lot of things is how he would see me.

If I were a Boy…
I would go out into the broad and competitive work force
My income would be the main money source
Grocery shopping would never be my job to do for the house
It would all be left in the hands of my spouse

But Im not a boy….
See I don’t understand
How it feels to live each day
Knowing you have the upper hand
So I think I’ll just stay
The way that God made me
Cause I love the way I am
I enjoy my femninity

No comments:

Post a Comment